Here for sale is a rare and unusual antique rudder. It is hand painted with the coat of arms and original names of the rowers of St John's College, Cambridge. It is dated 1907 and is faintly painted 'Lady Margaret' rowing club.
The Lady Margaret boat club is named after Lady Margaret Beaufort and was founded in 1825. This fabulous boat club rower is painted with the other colleges which took part in the 'bumps' which traditional are during lent and May. E. F Tozer was the Cox and our research shows that he went on to a Vicar in Sheerness, and later in Exeter.
This unusual rudder has a wonderful patina and such a slice of history for any rowing collector or ex student from St John's College.
Shows signs of wear and tear as it is old and has been used, but only adds to its character. Great decorative item which would look fantastic in any home or business interior.
Please look at photos closely as they form part of the item description.
49.5 cm width, 31 cm depth, 33 cm height
We are a family business and love sourcing unusual pieces which bring a burst of individual style to the most modern of interiors, creating interiors with soul!
We use third party couriers to delivery large items.
Viewing of items is always welcome. The Retrobarn is Flamstead, Hertfordshire is open by appointment.
All items are packed using recycled cardboard and bubble wrap. Items are sent tracked, insured and signed for.
Keep in Touch
We have loads of new items arriving on a regular basis, do follow us or sign up to newsletter on our website.